[GNC] Finance::Quote v1.54 Released

Bruce Schuck bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Tue Dec 27 16:36:48 EST 2022

On 12/27/22 9:08 AM, R Losey wrote:

> I have version 1.52 installed on Ubuntu 22.04LTS... it came as a
> package.  What do I need to do to install the update? Is there a
> script to run for updates? Do I need to build it myself?

Dropped gnucash-devel from the Cc.

The good folks on the GnuCash team will point you to "gnc-fq-update",
which itself is small Perl wrapper script which calls CPAN.

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#gnc-fq-update

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Installing_Finance::Quote_using_CPAN

It takes Ubuntu/Canonical some time to update their packages, so they
are usually at least a major release or two behind.

Updating from F::Q v1.52 to v1.54 should be quick using CPAN. But
therein lies the caveat with Perl and CPAN. Occasionally additional
modules or updates to existing ones require compilation of C code. While
the CPAN mechanism will take care of this, it will require a development
environment. At the very least the basic gcc/g++ packages and gmake.

- Bruce S.