[GNC] Feature request - prevent a transaction with todays date

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Dec 27 17:51:24 EST 2022

On 12/27/2022 2:00 PM, Steve Butler wrote:
> If I paid today and enter the transaction today it should have today's
> date on it.
>
> Especially if paid with cash.  If I wrote a check I must be ready for
> them to go immediately to the bank and cash it

I think misunderstood?

Yes of course, if you made the payment today then today's date should be
the date  of the transaction.

But who is to say that you got around to opening gnucash and entering
the transaction today? Especially if that was cash. And it is not
necessarily the date on which you write the check (though that is the
date you will usually use) but the date that you "delivered" the check
<< when you hand it to them, or for legal purposes, have made
"constructive delivery" of it -- from which "postmark" gets its legal
importance >>

In other words, I was responding to the idea that the date on the
transaction should be the "date when entered into gnucash" << today's
date >> when that could be well AFTER the date when the payment was
actually made.

When entering transactions into gnucash I am always entering a date, the
correct one for the transaction, rarely TODAY'S date. It is only a minor
annoyance, but the default gnucash starts with, "today", is almost
always going to be the wrong date. I am never, for example, when paying
a stack of bills, taking the first one, writing the check, putting a
stamp on, and taking to the post office, and then opening gnucash to
enter the transaction, then on to the next bill. Instead I process the
entire stack of bills, put the envelopes in a stack on the desk, until
the next time I am going down to our mail box (and putting the flag up;
we're rural). The next time I have gnucash up, will enter these
transactions using data from the check register. MIGHT be same day,
MIGHT be next day, MIGHT be net week.

Michael D Novack