[GNC] Finance::Quote v1.54 Released

R Losey rlosey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 10:58:59 EST 2022

Thanks; I was hoping it had its own update script.

Well, it took a couple of tries... as a long-time C programmer, I have gcc
installed.

The first time, I ran the update, and it spit out pages and pages of text,
but ultimately failed.  Looking back, I could see that it had a problem
with not finding 'make', which (to my surprise, wasn't installed).  I
installed it, and tried again; it spit out even more output, but seemed to
work, but I would certainly not call it "quick".

I'd like to get my hands on the update source, and see if I can add code to
verify that what it needs is present.  How much simpler this would have
been if it had said something like:

"ERROR: make is not installed or not in the command path. Please correct
and try again"

same thing for anything else it needs... from your script, gcc is needed
(?).  I assume that the script itself won't run without perl installed.

The above are Linux-centric, but at least the checks could be pretty simply
added to the Linux area... I'm comfortable with doing things like that in
scripting for Linux, but I don't have as much experience with Windows or
MacOS scripts.

--
Richard Losey
rlosey at gmail.com