[GNC] Deleting Transaction from Reconcile Deletes Wrong Transaction

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Dec 30 10:30:39 EST 2022

Op vrijdag 30 december 2022 15:47:35 CET schreef Thomas Forrester:
(snip)
> I use database storage over the XML storage method because it does afford
> me opportunities that the XML plain text file does not.  I now have data
> going back seven years in GnuCash and I think that's too much to push on a
> text file.  At some point the scales tip in favor of a
> full-fledged database over text file read/write operations.

I haven't followed the rest of this thread, but this paragraph caught my eye...

The way gnucash works the storage method hardly has any impact on performance. In all
cases the whole data set is loaded completely into memory when the data set is opened (be
it an xml file or a database backend). And all work is performed purely in memory.

The major difference is that with a database backend, any change you make is immediately
written to the db right after the model in memory has been altered. With the xml backend,
changes are written to the xml file only on explicit save, or at the autosave interval (if set).

So the load and save experiences may be slightly different (last time I was involved in this the
initial db load was slower than the xml load, but saving to xml takes more time as it has to
write everything at once, yet that is not done as frequently as saving each atomic change to
db directly...)

But for both the db or xml storage, after the initial read, the data is never read again from
the storage and gnucash will only work with what's in memory.

Regards,

Geert