[GNC] Config files?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Dec 31 00:49:43 EST 2022

On 12/30/22 8:02 PM, Simon Roberts wrote:
> Thanks Murugan, that's really useful. First it tells me that I'm using a
> significantly old release (3.8, from the Ubuntu "built in" stuff). Better
> fix that, methinks.
>
> Are the data files I'm working on in 3.8 going to read directly into
> version 4, or does that need some more deliberate action?
Yes, and no, and yes.

See:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Using_Different_Versions.2C_Up_And_Downgrade

The short version is:

At all steps, save a copy of your data file as a backup, just in case
something goes wrong.

1. If possible, upgrade to the last 3.x first, but this is not strictly
necessary. (it will still be able to read your data file after the jump
to 4.x, if needed, but 3.8 might not be able to do so.)

2. Upgrade GnuCash to the current 4.13 or the highest version you can.
(this depends on installation method. If your repositories are limited,
you'd need to switch to Flatpak for a more recent version, or build from
source)

3. Upon first opening the file after upgrade, perform Actions > Check &
Repair > Check & Repair All. (this may be instant, or you may need a
beverage or fidget spinner to pass the time, though it is usually short
and painless.)

There can be data file changes between major versions and there have
been some changes to preferences and how and where they are stored. The
Check & Repair process will get you fully up to date in that regard.

> And in the online docs, I don't see a simple text search mechanism for the
> documentation. Am I missing something? I know that often it's hard to find
> things in documentation that's just organized by sections/topics if you
> don't know the terminology yet.

Unfortunately, no.

But you can download offline versions from the main website under
Documentation. The PDF and ePub formats should have search capability
depending on your chosen reader. I've never used the Mobi format.

There is also this side project created as proof-of-concept:
https://gnucash-docs-rst.readthedocs.io/en/latest/#

But it appears to be 2 years old without updates.

Personally, I think it is a vast improvement, but I understand there are
growing pains and translation considerations to make that switch.

Regards,
Adrien