[GNC] One File, Two Users

Paul Kroitor paul at kroitor.ca
Sat Dec 31 15:43:02 EST 2022

Hi, long time user of GnuCash with various sets of books. Some are currently
run in a quasi-office environment such that users in other cities can VPN
into our LAN and thus open GnuCash books as though they are on a local
server. But this infrastructure is now going away.

So I need to find a way to allow two users, in two different cities, to
access a single set of books, but without an office infrastructure. Access
will be alternating, thus no simultaneous access. Neither user has static
IPs or internet facing servers. So far I have thought of the following
(unsatisfactory to varying degrees) mechanisms:

1.	Put the data file in an existing MySQL server in the cloud and allow
the MySQL lockout mechanisms to deal with access conflicts;
2.	Keep an XML file in the cloud and

a.	Use scripts to upload/download and manage lock semaphores (yuck),
b.	Use SMB sharing over the internet (double yuck!); or

3.	Set up a desktop OS in the cloud and allow users to remote desktop
in.

None of these are good, but 1) seems better than the others.

Perhaps there's a way for the app to run in the cloud but the GUIs are on
the remote user machines?

All ideas welcome, no matter how inane!