[GNC] One File, Two Users

Andreas Hentze Andreas.Hentze at gmx.de
Sat Dec 31 17:28:54 EST 2022

   Hi Paul,

   I do #2 (using the sqlite file type) successfully. But I use my own
   cloud on a synology NAS disk station (as I want to be sure, that my
   data is mine :-)).
   Therefor I use the sync-client to the local disk and never had a
   Problem with the lockfile.

   Best regards
   Andy

   Gesendet: Samstag, 31. Dezember 2022 um 21:43 Uhr
   Von: "Paul Kroitor" <paul at kroitor.ca>
   So I need to find a way to allow two users, in two different cities, to
   access a single set of books, but without an office infrastructure.
   Access
   will be alternating, thus no simultaneous access. Neither user has
   static
   IPs or internet facing servers. So far I have thought of the following
   (unsatisfactory to varying degrees) mechanisms:
   1. Put the data file in an existing MySQL server in the cloud and allow
   the MySQL lockout mechanisms to deal with access conflicts;
   2. Keep an XML file in the cloud and
   a. Use scripts to upload/download and manage lock semaphores (yuck),
   b. Use SMB sharing over the internet (double yuck!); or
   3. Set up a desktop OS in the cloud and allow users to remote desktop
   in.
   None of these are good, but 1) seems better than the others.
   Perhaps there's a way for the app to run in the cloud but the GUIs are
   on
   the remote user machines?
   All ideas welcome, no matter how inane!