[GNC] File Locations

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:27:20 EST 2022

On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 5:09 AM Jan Herdsman <jan at herdsman2.com> wrote:

> I am using an iMac, I would like to be able to save my GNU file in a cloud
> or other location than my hard drive, Also don't know where the location or
> name of any backup files are,
> All I can see is log files and one LCK file and the gnucash file, all in My
> Documents.
> If possible I would also like to be able to open the main file on a windows
> computer sometimes.

If you have your data stored as SQL (instead of the default XML file
format) you won't have any backup files, just the log files. The log files,
and backup files, if any can automatically be deleted after a certain time
according to the preferences in GnuCash.

HOWEVER since you aren't certain where all your files are and want to move
and/or sync them, I checked the FAQ:

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ

which links to the Backup entry:

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup

Have a look at the Backup information and see if that helps you A) make a
backup of your valuable data NOW before something goes wrong and B) know
what files you might want to move or mark to sync with your iCloud (or
DropBox, Google Drive, etc.).

(Generally it's a lot easier to keep each data file in its own directory
because of the log files and backup files that clutter it, so a separate
directory is recommended. When you move the GnuCash files to a new
location, unfortunately the Mac version keeps looking for the data file in
the old location UNTIL you explicitly Open the newly positioned data file
from within the application.)

Once your data file has been located where another computer syncs with it,
you can open the file from that computer, too. Just be sure to use the same
version number GnuCash on that computer, and don't expect to be able to
open the data from more than one computer at the same time.