[GNC] Managing multiple vehicles

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 18:36:57 EST 2022

> I've read that using other softwares one can benefit from "category" to
> better filter the information you want and create reports, I've tried using
> the description field for that using a simple structure like Expenses:Gas
> and placing the vehicle details as description but it just doesn't work, or
> maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>
> I've also considered making accounts for the vehicles as assets, but
> honestly I have no idea if this would be a viable solution and even correct
> from an accounting point of view...

Well first of all, the farm equipment definitely part of your fixed
assets (equipment would be a major division of fixed assets). This is
especially true for the long lived units, which in addition to their
normal depreciation might have major "rebuilds" extending their life. <<
and this IS "standard accounting".

Might I humbly suggest you try to find in addition to a standard
"introduction to accounting text" an "accounting for the farm" text.

Standard/traditional accounting only allows ONE hierarchy for the CoA
leaving you the problem of account selection for the reports in which
you want this differently. THAT is what those packages which off the
extension "category" are really doing, letting you set up in advance
this selection of accounts. It is simply a different way of doing
"account selection" (in advance instead of for each report where you
want selection). You will probably want to look at how you can save reports.

Also you might want to consider "not everything in one book". In other
words, main set of books for the farm as a whole but treating various
parts of the farm operation as if they were separate businesses owed by
the farm. That could make it easier to compare the profitability of
operation A with operation B, etc.

Michael D Novack

PS: It's been at least 40 years since I did any farm accounting, so no,
cant be of practical help. GET TEXT(s)