[GNC] Changing where my data is held

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 01:17:32 EST 2022

David L.

Not a preferences thing as such, just use either File >> Save As and
navigate to desired destination and click OK - just like saving a document
somewhere :-)

OR copy/move your gnucash data file manually using Windows Explorer and
then re-open from new location so Gnucash knows where it is from there on.

Some advice?  I ALWAYS update my gnucash data file locally and then copy it
up to a shared drive, NAS/Cloud/Whatever using FreeFileSync (
https://freefilesync.org/) - versions for Windows, Linux and Mac OS.  Just
means depending on what pc I'm on I have to be a bit pedantic to make sure
I sync up the latest updated one and sync it down on the other pc if I'm
not on my usual machine.  Once you have set it up it's pretty easy to click
on "Compare" to see if any changes have been made and then click on "SYNC"
to download the changed version.  Bonus with this is if you stuff some
updates up you can just re-sync the old file back down and over-write the
botched file :-)

Cheers David H.