[GNC] Why does the balance sheet report list positions with zero balances?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Feb 20 09:10:02 EST 2022

Hi,

I just opened the account file you sent, ran the balance sheet, and then
expanded the default account depth from to 4.  When I did that I noticed
that the two lines you sent:

  2,000 UST2   $1,960.00
      0 UST1       $0.00

are BOTH from the same account, USD Bonds.   The fact they are from the
"same" account is why both are showing up, even when you have "Omit zero
balance figures".  There is an embedded assumption of "one figure per
account" which happens especially if sub-accounts get rolled up into the
parent account.

If you increase the level of subaccounts to 6 then that UST1 goes away.

I agree, this is probably a bug.  If you are rolling up subaccounts and
have "omit zero balance figures" selected, it should, well, omit
zero-balance figures, even if the rolled-up data contains non-zero-balance
numbers.

Please file a bug report in Bugzilla and attach the data file, screen
shot, and this email exchange.

Thanks,

-derek

On Sun, February 20, 2022 7:48 am, km22 wrote:
> Thanks Derek. Adding the screenshot here as an attachment.
>
> On 20/2/2022 20:45, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> The example file made it through. The photo didn't.  The reason is
>> that the list strips html.  So embedded images get stripped.
>> Attachments do make it.
>>
>> -derek
>> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
>>
>> On February 20, 2022 7:31:59 AM km22 <km22 at gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. I see that neither my screenshot nor example gnucash file seem to
>>> be accessible to the mailing list.  Pls let me know how best to share
>>> both of these. Thanks

>>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>>> -----

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745