[GNC] (no subject)

Mario Nigrovic jagmarz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 12:49:42 EST 2022

Many years ago, I had used gnucash, and was pretty happy with it. I was
very careful to make regular backups of my data, and so, when my disk
inevitably crashed, I was not too worried. However, I was mortified to
discover that, although all my transaction data had been saved, all my
custom reports were lost, as they had been stored separately in a secret
undisclosed location, I later discovered to be elsewhere in my home
directory.

Recently, I have decided to try again to use gnucash, but I would like very
much to ensure ALL my data is backed up. So I hit upon the idea of running
the tool under a custom value of $HOME, but I was then shocked to discover
that even with this method, gnucash was able to remember previous locations
of my database file, which suggests that the tool is also using some kind
of other mechanism to save historical data, and that makes me very nervous
about actually being able to do proper backups of everything related to the
tool.
Doing some sleuthing using strace, I was able to find the previous database
location delivered through some socket connection, and that really scares
me, since it is now possible critical data is stored via some other Linux
service and I will have no way to trace out where this may be to avoid
future nasty surprises.
I have not seen any documentation about backup strategies other than the
aromatic saving of previous data files, yet I do see that there was data
being stored at least in ~/.local, so I'm hoping someone on this list may
be able to point me to some more thorough discussion of ALL the places user
data from gnucash may be stored.
Thanks for your help!

-- Mario

-- Mario