[GNC] Profit & Retained Earning don't match

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Feb 25 16:56:36 EST 2022

HI,

On Fri, February 25, 2022 4:49 pm, Stan Brown wrote:

> On 2022-02-25 13:14, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> For example, if you ran the report, then added an account, that new
>> account would not be included by default in the report if you refresh
>> it.
>> You need to manually add the new account into the report.
>>
>> This also applies to saved reports.
>
> Wow -- I did not know this, but it explains why my balance sheet and
> income statement sometimes miss accounts. (With the income statement in
> particular, I run it only at the end of the year, so any accounts could
> have been added almost a whole year ago, and I wouldn't remember when I
> added them.)
>
> I select accounts for my saved reports in what seems like a sensible
> way: all Income And Expense accounts for the income statement, and all
> Assets, Liabilities, and Equities for the balance sheet.
>
> I don't know how hard this would be to do, but it would be nice if GC
> would keep track in a saved report of how accounts were selected. If the
> selection was by a hierarchy rather than individual accounts, GC could
> then automatically include all accounts within that hierarchy when
> running the saved report.

Yeah, sorry -- that's not how it works.  It honestly doesn't know anything
about "accounts" per se, let along hierachies.  It just knows "Object
GUIDs".

The good news is that it's only a few clicks to get "all accounts" added.

But yeah, if you save a report, or have a report "open", it wont learn
about new accounts.

This has been the case since, oh... 2003?  2005?  Something like that.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745