[GNC] reconcile problem?

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 04:45:37 EST 2022

When importing your checking account, if the item has already been imported as a
transaction to your credit card, then if GnuCash recognizes it the "A" column
will be unchecked and the record will not be imported and either the "U" column
will be checked  if the record being imported has additional information in
addition to that in the already imported record which will be updated with the
imported data or the "C" column will be checked which will mark the existing
record as "cleared" but otherwise will not import it. (Note: The "C" column was
labelled as "R" in older GnuCash versions).

GnuCash's automatic settings of these  3 flags should be overridden if the
matching procedure has made an incorrect decision. GnuCash gets about 80% of
these decisions right on most of my imports to my credit card. Unless the
checking account record has identifying information as to which credit card a
payment is made to, GnuCash has no way of making that decision. You will have to
do it manually. I would manually make a note of the dates, payment amounts and
the credit card they are for when I authorized the payments and then use that to
correctly assign the payments to the appropriate credit card account on import
if you can't persuade your bank to include that information.