[GNC] Automatic sales tax

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Mon Feb 28 12:57:47 EST 2022

I can lay no claim to being an expert where sales tax is concerned.  Your comment caused me to research how many states are origin-based, and it turns out the number is eleven.  So you are correct that the majority are destination-based.

Online sales have clouded this issue because states have reacted to the loss of revenue from remote businesses by changing their sales tax laws on nexus.   A business may have physical nexus or, alternatively, an economic nexus that obligates them to collect tax for a particular state where their products are delivered.  I believe the laws are sometimes based on a certain volume of activity, which is a complicating factor in collection when the business is not certain of crossing that threshold.  But, I'm prepared to agree that most states may be destination states where online sales are concerned.  Consider the confusing situation if your business is located in an origin-based state but has nexus out of state!

Making the buyer the determination of sales tax jurisdiction is an onerous complication for small business, to say the least.  Gino's Pizza's one and only shop may deliver across the county line, but I'm willing to bet they don't collect sales tax accordingly.

The number of sales tax jurisdictions in the U.S. alone runs to the tens of thousands, a few of which have quirky bracket schemes that are more complicated than simple application of a percentage.  Some have on and off surtaxes.  Then, too, some states declare brief sales tax holidays for one reason or another.   And whether or not they tax shipping and/or a particular type of service are yet further complexities.

I was mainly just reacting to how unthinkable it is that GnuCash doesn't automatically calculate sales tax.