[GNC] Idiots guide to building GNC 4.9 on Ubuntu 20.04LTS

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 04:45:20 EST 2022

On 1/4/22 5:38 AM, davidcousens49 at gmail.com wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> If you are having difficulty Jeff you will have to tell us exactly what you have
> done and which commands you have entered into the terminal and exactly what the
> terminal output is to each command. We are not mind readers and we are not on
> your system so unless you tell us we do not know what is happening, we don't
> know.
>
> We need information to diagnose problems. Even worse a lot of us will not be on
> Ubuntu but on other Linux distributions. There are sometimes subtle and
> sometimes not so subtle differences to Ubuntu. The build instructions do assume
> some general familiarity with building software on Linux and Linux terminal
> operation.
>
> If you go to your Ubuntu menu, you should find a heading called something like
> Administration and it will have an entry with a name like Software Sources. If
> you click on that you will get a dialogue up. It should have a tab on the LH
> side with a name like Official Repositories and if you click on that there
> should be an entry Optional Sources.  If there is a switch, checkbox or other
> control labelled "Software code repositories" or similar make sure it is
> selected/checked etc.
>

> I have found for example that the apt -y switch does not work on Linux Mint. I
> am not sure about Ubuntu as Linux Mint uses a modified apt command. David
> Whiting's script was for Ubuntu 20.04 so it should have worked to install the
> dependencies.
>
> One thing you will have to do is find the script file in the file manager and
> check that it is marked for execution. If not the script won't run. You may have
> to alter the file manager options to display the file permissions. They should
> be "-rwxrwxr-x". The "x" in the last position has to be present.
>
> If not, if you open a terminal in the directory containing the copy of the
> script file, then the command
>
> chmod +x <script name>.sh
>
> will mark the script file as executable. Typing
>
> ./<script name>.sh
>
> in the terminal will then execute it
>
> If that does not work then the following will help to establish whether the
> dependencies have been installed. In any of the following substitute for any
> descriptor of the form enclosed in angle brackets e.g. <script name>, the actual
> name for the file on your system. In any output the descriptor will be replaced
> with an appropriate name
>
> Open a terminal and type in the following commands one at a time to check
> whether the dependencies are installed or not.
>
> ## Ubuntu 20.04
> ## In "Software and Updates":
> ## Tick "Source code"
> ## Tick "Community-maintained free and open-source software (Universe)"
>
> ## Change this if you want to build it somewhere else.
> SOURCEDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/source"
> BUILDDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/build"
>
> ## Change this if you want to install it somewhere else.
> [...]

When I run the scripts you provided I get the following:

W: Failed to fetch http://Community-maintained/dists/free/InRelease
Temporary failure resolving 'Community-maintained'
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Software update refuses to let me add that.

As for for error messages for four times, I have had different error
lists each time.

I am missing some beginners error each time.

Right now I have to stop trying to build on my own a working GNC 4.9,
tax time is here and the IRS waits for no one.  Once tax time is over I
will try again.  One way or another I am going to build the current
version of GNC on my server, come hell or high water.

Thank you for your support, I'll be back later to aggravate you all.

Cheers to you all for your support.  Aggravate you again all latter.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.