[GNC] Period Ends

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 09:37:51 EST 2022

On 1/7/2022 12:21 PM, Jesse MacDougall wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying that Gyle.
> Interesting. Yes definitely never post to past periods.  Move forward.

You can prevent, or at least detect violations of this by making a year
end copy of the file to read only medium (well, write once medium). I
used to do this for the organizations for which I kept books. Actually
at least two copies, one kept and one given into the custody of another
organizational office. In case a question ever arose about alteration of
past data, could be compared.

This is more reliable than any software "locking" mechanism, especially
if the person supposedly blocked from making alterations is a software
professional (which I was). For similar reasons, instead of showing the
BOD the statement from the bank to compare to the report, I would have
another officer obtain a copy of the statement directly from the bank.
If the bank's programmers could have their computers print that
statement, so could I have my computers print something exactly like it.

Michael D Novack