[GNC] Import Transaction Manager (version 3.8) customization

Tracy gnulist at vbot.org
Wed Jan 12 00:12:33 EST 2022

Greetings,

I am using GnuCash 3.8 (I haven't updated to a later version because I'm
running Ubuntu 20.04 and don't want to take the time to set up to
compile the source, nor do I want to be bothered with having to set up
and work around the limitations of the flatpack installs. Once 22.04
comes out, and it has had a month or two to settle in and get the bugs
knocked out, I'll upgrade Ubuntu, which will also let me upgrade GnuCash
to a 4.x version.)

But, in the meantime, I have a question/problem. In the Generic Import
Transaction Matcher (the window that opens when importing OFX/QFX/CSV
files), there are several headers that are displayed - to wit:

Date
Amount
Description
Memo
A (Add Transaction)
R (Match Transaction in register)
Info

These headers come up in this order across the top. (There is another
one that can display - the Skip Transaction - but I have that disabled
in Settings.) However, I have zero use for the Memo header - all it does
is get in the way of matching up my transactions and setting categories
for added transactions. While I can drag and drop this header to the
right, it is cumbersome to do this every time I import transactions (it
is necessary to drag it all the way to the right, then drop it, then it
places itself in front of the Info header, which I then have to drag
left to put it in front of the Memo field, etc).

So, my question. Is there a way to "permanently" hide this header (or
even change the default header order, so that it is out of the way by
default)?

Any suggestions welcome, although useful suggestions are more welcome
than others :-)

Tracy