[GNC] Exiting GNUCash (David Carlson)

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Tue Jan 18 14:51:33 EST 2022

I do use Google drive  to keep backup copy but I am mindful that I "sync" the GNC directory from static location from my C: drive to Google Drive as part of my startup process (mirror via a BAT script in Startup folder using RoboCopy - Win 10 still has startup folder to throw things in there 😊) when I fire up the computer. This way I always know either I am missing the full set of manually entered data from the last session or it has everything. You have to be mindful that Google Drive, OneDrive and many other online drives are eventual consistent as opposed to synchronous replication type so you have to account for that gap as it can lead to bad results. I also encrypt my sensitive data that gets stored in Google Drive using CryptSync which can do bi-directional (it discerns which file is latest and replicate accordingly for each file protected under a folder). Since most, if not all, of my transactions are downloaded in OFX format, it is not too difficult to bring up to current state if it goes out of state.

>From what I know is that Google Drive, OneDrive and other online drives will write lock protect the file for the duration of transmission to and from their servers - this is just normal operation of how async replication works as those drive apps wants to make sure that copy is exact bit for bit. Once transmission is completed and you save the file, you are actually overwriting the previous file that was there (as opposed to modifying portion of it) and then it will go in this "lock" mode again while it is transmitting hence it is not a good ideas, IMHO, as this cycle will repeat every time there is change, including one bit matadata change like time stamp updates. If you X'ed out from the program while GNC lock file was locked by the Google drive or OneDrive for synching in this manner, then it never was really removed and when you go into GNC you will see that message show up as chances are that online drive program may have replicated that tiny file back by the time you launched GNC.

On the linux systems, the file cache is the culprit in the behavior if something like that happens. Normally linux systems is very aggressive in caching files where it will use almost all of the free physical memory available and if the file is small enough it most likely is working from the memory copy even though it was pulled from ufs/xfs file system and you wrote it (via save) multiple times - it never potentially made it to the hard drive platters but Google Drive or OneDrive will synch it up to their servers and then when you fire it up again, it will get synced down to your local system and will display that window as well.

Message: 1