[GNC] Exiting gnucash Lock file Vol 226, Issue 57

Peter pandem at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 20 09:38:37 EST 2022

Here is the testing methods I used to verify the issue I have noted.

Selected a known small good gnucash data file.
Storage Location: Local D:  c: drive is Samsung SSD and D: is Seagate 2TB
GNUCASH Storage type :  XML and compressed
Operating system: Windows 10
GNUCASH version 4.9
The opening method in ALL test was to use the GNUCASH icon on the
TASKBAR and then select the recent (test) file
If the LOCK file was not deleted it was removed using the windows File
Explorer

Test #1: - change, Save Button and then File->Quit

Result: This was repeated 5 times each time the same result - Lock file
was deleted and the change was Saved.

Test #2 - change then File>Quit and save at 15 seconds on timer

Result: In test 5 of 5 Lock file was NOT deleted and the change was NOT
saved in the data file
This test was actual performed more than 5 times but I did note 5 of 5
in one contiguous run. There were a few test that asked to save the
transaction prior to the question of save the file
I was never able to get it to repeat twice in a row.

Test #3 - change and exit File->Quit wait for the Save dialogue then let
it time out

Result: In test 5 of 5 Lock file was deleted and the change was saved in
the data file

Test #4 - change and wait for autosave then File->Quit

Result: In test 5 of 5 Lock file was deleted and the change was saved in
the data file

Test #5 - change and wait for autosave then use X method

Result: In test 5 of 5 Lock file was deleted and the change was saved in
the data file

Test #6 - change then use X method wait for the save dialogue and save
at 15 seconds on timer

Result: In test 5 of 5 Lock file was NOT deleted and the change was NOT
saved in the data file

Conclusion:

There is an issue in exiting with the SAVE button enabled/Highlighted
and complying with the dialogue to SAVE the Data file.
Test#2 and Test#6

Four methods of exiting that do delete the LOCK file and SAVE the latest
changes