[GNC] Accounting Question re Balance Sheet

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 16:10:17 EST 2022

Paul

As long as you post the initial estimates of the Sales fees etc that you make to
Expense or Income accounts as appropriate as well as any interim or point of
sale adjustments, then the approach you are using should be OK. You will need to
preserve whatever your tax authority defines as the cost basis for capital gains
purposes.

The way to to this is for each asset maintain two (or more if necessary) sub-
accounts summing into the placeholder, one recording the initial purchase price
and the second a contra account in which to record the on going chenges to the
asset value and associated costs as determined from market values.  You could do
the same for the associated Laibilities, although this may be less necessary as
the liability is not incurred until the point of sale and your initial estimate
of this would not normally affect the cost basis of the asset under most capital
gains assessments in most jurisdictions.

As you have noted the recording of expense and income is not in accordance with the timing rules in normal accounting and taxation practice so the data as recorded will not be useful for taxation purposes. You could deal with this without having to maintain a separate set of accounts by establishing separate subaccounts for Taxable and Non-taxable income and expenses with appropriate sub-accounts as required under these headings as long as you are careful with categorizing the income and expenses and the inclusion of the asset and liability sub accounts in reports. You can prepare any required reports by including or excluding the accounts as appropriate and saving them.
Exact details will of course be dependent upon taxation rules and any accounting
rules that are specific to your jurisdiction and you should take accounting
advice from a registered professional in your jurisdiction if you are in any
doubt and not consider the above as actual accounting advice.

David Cousens