[GNC] Cant Open GnuCash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Jan 28 13:11:28 EST 2022

Hi,

First, please remember to CC gnucash-user on all replies.  I'm not the
only person who can help, and by not sharing your response with the list,
the real Mac gurus will be waiting for you to answer my questions.

Having said that, you said:

> Thank you for your response.  Here are the details of what happened:
>

> I started at gnucash.org
>
> I clicked on "Program" in the Downloads box on the left side then on the
"GnuCash
> 4.9 for Apple macOS �� 10.13��"High
> Sierra"<https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/4.9/Gnucash-Intel-4.9-1.dmg>"
> link.
>
> This took me to sourceforge.net where I clicked the green "Download" box
which
> downloaded the .dmg package and put it on my desktop.
>
> I opened the downloaded package which opened a window with 5 .txt files and
> "Gnucash" which shows as an application with a size of 464.7 MB and a
modified date
> of Dec 18, 2021 at 9:05 PM
>
> I got the same result whether I double clicked on the "Gnucash"
application file or
> left clicked and chose "Open" from the menu.  That result is that a
security message
> window opens warning me that I'm trying to open a file downloaded from
Safari and
> asking if I'm sure I want to do so.  When I click "Open" in that window,
the window
> disappears, the GnuCash icon disappears from the dock, and nothing opens.
>
> Note: When it didn't work from my desktop, I tried putting it in my
Applications
> folder which had the same result.  I also tried restarting the computer.  \

So, your first mistake:  You cannot run GnuCash out of the DMG.  You need
to copy it locally.

The first thing you need to do when you open the DMG is you need to
drag-and-copy the GnuCash app bundle into /Applications.

THEN you can double-click from /Applications/Gnucash to run it.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745