[GNC] Can't get Scheduled Transactions to work

Jed Taylor vendors at offthedial.com
Fri Jan 28 15:48:35 EST 2022

GnuCash v4.6 on Windows 10.

I'm working on setting up the books for my condo association, which has 20
units.  With 20 units, I'd like to have GnuCash automatically post the
monthly assessment due from each unit, which is a different amount for each,
on the first of the month to the G/J.

I've read the Help on STs, and followed the steps, as well as gotten into
editing the ST.  So far, I simply can't get this feature to work.

I'm testing this feature using only one unit to start.  The books open in
late 2020-09, so the first entry for assessments is dated 2020-10-01.

I created a G/J entry that posts the amount for the unit to its A/R & Income
accounts.  So far, so good.  Then, I select that transaction and click on
the "Schedule" button and tell the dialog I want a monthly transaction.
I've tried this using both 10-01 and 11-01 as the start date for the ST, and
I'm getting the same results.  I have also tried this using the current date
for my PC's date as well as resetting my PCs date to 2020-11-01.

Each time I can get the ST to post, the two account fields are filled with
hexadecimal characters rather than actual accounts from the template
transaction.  The account balances remain unchanged.  If I go to the G/J and
click on the entry, GC tells me the account doesn't exist and asks me if I
want to create it.

If I examine the entry for the ST, when I go to the Template window, the
information for the transaction is blank.  When I fill in the information
there, it accepts it, but when it posts, again, I get the same nonsense hex
for the accounts rather than what I've assigned.

What I expected to happen when I set up the ST is for every month between
2020-10-01 and 2022-01-01 to post to the G/J and have the ST slice of the
app tell me that the next one ready to post would be for 2022-02.

Clearly, I'm missing something.  What is it?

TIA.