[GNC] Canadian Mortgage

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 17:31:42 EST 2022

Happily, in Canada, Escrow is not nearly as common a practice as in the US.  So that complication likely does not apply.

But since this thread wandered off into the question of banks making money off the rounding (in Australia), there was a case in Canada - back in the 70s or 80s, as I recall, where a rogue programmer - someone with a job not unlike Michael's previous life - figured out how to siphon rounding errors into his own account.  I don’t know how much rounding was involved - but it was described (by a member of the fraud unit of the police) as taking the rounding errors from savings interest and putting it into his account.  I would imagine that everything was right to one or two digits beyond the penny, to avoid detection, but then the remainder was truncated rather than rounded, and that error went in one place.  At the time, US banks were small, as they weren’t yet allowed to operate across state lines.  But Canadian banks had no such restrictions and were already operating internationally.  So a tiny bit every month from each of very many accounts added up.