[GNC] Don't get this at all

Don Robertson don at robertson.net.nz
Mon Jan 31 20:54:25 EST 2022

Hi - I have been looking at Gnucash for a while and would like to use it
for my very simple business. But I am just finding it so complicated and
counter intuitive I am thinking I might just use a spread sheet. Yes, it
is that simple.

In the past I have used Quicken and MoneyWorks, so I am not a novice
when it comes to double entry book-keeping or to paying sales tax and so
forth.

So here is an example. I have set up a chart of accounts, and set up our
sales tax rates, and two accounts - one for sales tax received and one
for sales tax paid.

On Sunday, I went to the hardware and bought a cupboard to store our
business material in. I have imported the transaction from the bank, and
have debited the bank account and credited the appropriate expense account.

I just do not see any way to apply sales tax to the transaction. I have
looked at the documentation, and it does not seem to me to say anything
about this.

So okay. I add a bill, add a vendor, post the bill to accounts
receivable. I don't want to do this everytime I buy a box of pencils,
but fine. Now I do not see any way to say the bill has been paid by the
transaction imported earlier. If I hit pay, it adds a new transaction.

Pretty much makes importing transactions a waste of time. Worse - it's
completely pointless.

It seems to me that this is a pretty basic thing to do. Maybe I'm stupid
or missing something but I can't see how this is supposed to be done.