[GNC] Fiscal Year: Preferences vs Properties

Paul Kroitor paul at kroitor.ca
Thu Jul 7 10:05:20 EDT 2022

Hello again,

Perhaps I missed earlier discussions about this, but is there a reason the
Accounting Period is an attribute in the Preferences menu (and thus
system-wide) rather than in the File Properties menu (as all the other
company-specific items are)?

Am I correct that every time I open a set of books with a different fiscal
year, I have to go into Preferences to change the accounting period? If I
don't do this, all the reports use the wrong start and end dates.

This is nuts - I work with four different fiscal years here!

A related issue is why the accounting period specifies a year at all. Surely
it should just be the month and day, since an entity's fiscal period are the
same dates every year (e.g. Sept 1 - Aug 31).

I have the feeling I'm missing something basic about this..

Paul