[GNC] Adding a new currency

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Jul 8 09:11:58 EDT 2022

Hi,

Technically, the list is hard-coded into the application at compile-time,
but it is built from an XML file that contains the list of currencies.
That XML is converted to C code that "loads" the list of currencies at
runtime.

So, yes, technically you could add your own custom currency to your
custom-built version of GnuCash.  However, you will need to maintain that
"forever".  Your data file will never work on a "standard" version of
GnuCash (without your currency change).  And any update will require you
to rebuild the application with your change.

Enjoy!

-derek

PS: Someone did agree on IRC (in principle) to pay me a certain fee to
implement this feature, saying they'd be back in a week (technically they
said 10 days) to confirm.  But they never returned to confirm.  *shrug*

On Fri, July 8, 2022 8:52 am, Esteban Maringolo wrote:
> But is the list of currencies hardcoded? Isn't it in some table?
>
> As for cryptocurrencies, there was XBT for Bitcoin, but nothing else.
>
> Regards,
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 9:43 AM Geert Janssens
> <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>>
>> Op vrijdag 8 juli 2022 10:18:51 CEST schreef Peter West:
>> > So cryptocurrencies will never be supported currencies, because
>> > cryptocurrencies will never be part of ISO-4217.
>> >

>> At some point I proposed to add code to allow non-ISO-4217 currencies.
>> While not formally
>> correct this could be helpful for simple personal accounting. Such
>> alternate currency group
>> could also have been used to manage crypto currencies.
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't have time left to implement this and I don't think
>> any of the other
>> active devs has it anywhere on their priority list.
>>
>> So "never" ? Depends. For to to have any chance though it will require
>> someone to step up
>> and implement this in a way that fits the gnucash design and concepts.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geert
>>
>> > —
>> > Peter West
>> > pbw at pbw.id.au
>> > “And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat
>> against
>> > that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”
>> <emaringolo at gmail.com>

>> currencies?

>> ISO-4217".

>> -----

>> > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
>> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
>> -----

>> -----

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745