[GNC] Blue line in checking account register window

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 10:24:38 EDT 2022

> Actually, out of the box both MacOS since around Sierra and Windows
> 10/11 do indeed set up automatic clock synchronization as well as
> location tracking unless the user explicitly disables either or both
> of these features. So if you buy a shiny new laptop in New York state
> and boot up there, then without changing any settings fly to
> California and boot up again, your clock will change to display the
> correct local time.

Actually, I am always speaking from the perspective of somebody who does
NOT live in an urban area. Even a cell phone HERE (at my house) would
not know where it was, as there is no cell service available. Nor, when
various things try to figure out where I am by IP address, does that
give MY location but instead the location of the server to which my
connection goes. Reasonably close now but that would have been much
farther away back before cable reached here as a dial-up provider or a
satellite provider might be almost anywhere. Most PC's do not have GPS
hardware.

Now in my case, the network is close enough (to determine time zone) But
consider the similar mountainous rural area in TN where that state meets
GA and AL (TN is not just in one time zone). Whether you were located in
a "hollow" or up on a ridge would determine if you had cell service. If
you did have cable internet, the server would likely be located some
distance off, say the nearest decent size city, Chattanooga, but you
might not be in that time zone (same likely if located just across the
state line in AL). No cable yet so still connected by dial-up or
satellite? Then the network to which connected could be FAR off.

Michael D Novack

PS -- For our business users ----- in rural areas along state boundaries
ZIP code is not a reliable indication of the state in which that address
is located. Postal mail delivery routes do not respect state boundaries.
Because this is not widely known, you are unlikely to get into trouble
with the authorities if this causes you to incorrectly charge sales tax.
But be prepared for a customer to complain of you charge them sales tax
on something their state does not tax << if you make the mistake in the
other direction, they are unlikely to complain >> Few businesses collect
"state" information. Where I used to work, did, but that involved
contracts, and so which state's contract laws applied was important.