[GNC] more integrated lots features

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at mapreri.org
Mon Jul 11 13:28:46 EDT 2022

Hi people!

Recently I've been noticing and using the "lots" feature a bit more,
and I'm finding it quite handy after all.

For example, as a FOSS contributor I find myself attending some events
and being sponsored for it, or have some expenses on behalf of projects
(say, I could buy promotional items (stickers, shirts, etc)) and later
be reimbursed for them.

In those cases I don't really want to use an invoice (in which case I
could record a bill for the expense and "charge" it toward a given
client), as I'm not actually invoicing any clients and I don't really
want to have invoices in gnucash that don't actually exist also by the
national revenue agency

So, I created an account Assets:AR:ToBeReimbursed where I charge all the
expenses that I plan to ask reimbursement for.  In that account I create
a lot for each reimbursement request collecting all related expenses (for
example, all expenses that I incur while going attending and coming back
from an event) and a final transaction crediting this account and
debiting a different AR account when sending off the actual
reimbursement ticket to whatever organization.  The goal is that making
sure that the lot is zero-ed out.

Now, I suspect I could create a new account for each event (or whatever
I have to do), but I found that this "lots" feature makes more sense in
my mind, as its own goal is exactly to link together related expenses.

So, concluding: I'm not sure if I'm doing justice to the feature by
using it this way, but if I am, I can likely find more uses for it.  As
such, I wonder if any of the developers have any further plan for it?  I
don't really have any particular UX/UI in mind, besides some kind of
sign (colour?) in the transaction ledger that highlight how a particular
transaction is related to another.  Perhaps with some extra report also
highlighting them?

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo