[GNC] Online Help manual CSV import section is out of date

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 03:21:08 EDT 2022

I think David  Carlson was principally referring to the temrinology using"
category". When I rewrote  the importer section last time there was a major
reorganisation of the guide and help in progress and it was suggestsed that it
was more appropriate to the Help manual as it is largely a button by button
description of the interface, although it is hard to separate that totally from
illustrations of how to use it. I think he intention at that time was that the
help would be basically interface description and explanation and the guide
would be more oriented towards illustrating how to achieve specific accounting
objectives. I haven't caught up with what the current thinking.  I didn't cover
the appending of descriptions/memo and updating in any great detail at the time
as I hadn't been through the code on that section. I likely won't make too much
progress in the next week or two as I have a few other things on over the next
few weeks.  It is always a problem keeping it modernized as the external
technologies used are changing. In some ways I think it is better to keep the
basic stuff as simple as possible. GnuCash is used widely in many different
juridictions with considerable variation in practice in the banking sector.
Europe seems to lead the way and Australia is hanging on to the end of the tail
, at least in some respects. The demands of Digital Rights Management in the
banking sector will bring some improvements there I'm told by my son who works
as a developer in the area. One of the other David's (David Taylor I think ) was
organising the rearrangement of the Help Manual and the Guide around 2020. Feel
free to contribute any changes you think are warranted.
David Cousens