[GNC] Lost 4 hours of data input

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Jul 22 15:04:43 EDT 2022

A crash doesn't always mean GnuCash is at fault. Sure, it may encounter
a condition that should be handled much more gracefully, but there are
potentially many, many, many variables out there that influence that
condition.

Part of triaging a crash (without a log, crash report, stack trace,
tracefile, etc.) is to eliminate variables. Doing hours and hours of
work without saving that work periodically is a bad idea no matter which
application you are using. (this has been a 'thing' with computers since
I started using them back in the early 80s, and I'm *sure* for all of
computer history.)

That sort of workflow is playing with fire. And yes, I forget and do it
sometimes too in some apps when I get carried away with a task. Murphy
and his Law usually sting me when I stray from best practices.

Since the OP mentioned using DropBox, the first inclination is to not do
that and go back to a local file. (that is what GnuCash is *designed*
for, it is not designed for working over a network/file-sync, though
some have managed it just fine.)

The tips offered in this thread are helpful for both issues. (lost work,
not syncing properly)

If the OP really wants to tackle trying to figure out exactly why
GnuCash crashed, many here are happy to help on that journey, but not
everyone is so inclined, or has the skills or time. Some people just
want to try to recover their work, get back up and running again, and
proceed without losing work from then on.

Regards,
Adrien