[GNC] Regularly importing transactions from CSV files

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Jul 24 19:15:03 EDT 2022

Welcome to GnuCash!

When you do the import, all of those transactions should have one
account the same, for whatever you are importing from, say, a bank
account. You then assign the 'other' account for each transaction.
(expenses, paying liabilities, income, etc.)

Check out the Help Guide & the Concepts & Tutorial documents from the
GnuCash website. (under Documentation)

Yes, you can 'move' transactions by simply re-assigning accounts after
the import, but it is better to get it right during the import as that
is how the matcher learns your transactions. (so you don't have to do as
much work on subsequent imports)

On that note, be sure to break up the import into smaller chunks like
monthly. This way, you get the time saving benefits of training the
import matcher with successive imports, and you break down the work
load, as well as decrease your chances of errors.

As for swapping credit/debit, you can cut/paste the values of course,
but you can also just put a minus sign in front of an amount and GnuCash
will swap the value to the other column. (a 'negative debit' *is* a
credit and vice versa)

Regards,
Adrien