[GNC] need to teak the default invoice script - new user

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jul 25 11:52:24 EDT 2022

> On Jul 25, 2022, at 3:42 AM, peter <peter.jubb at hubuk.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to GNUcash - spent many hours getting to grips with the new system (came from Quick Books) and finally got my small business accounts set up and working reasonably well.
>
> However, I operate two trading names of the same business and need to be able to invoice the two types of clients with different invoice layouts/content.
>
> Could someone please tell me the following:-
>
>     Where is the default invoicing script stored, so that I can tweak the code to my needs for client type 1 ?
>
>     How can I add a print menu / toolbar  item, that points to an alternative "default" invoice script, that I can use for client type 2 ?
>
> I have spent many hours playing with the built in facility to change invoice layout, but it doesn't quite meet my needs.
>
> I am using GNUcash 4.8 running on Ubuntu 22.04
>
> Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

The invoice report's source should be at /usr/share/guile/site/2.2/gnucash/reports/standard/invoice.scm. I suggest you copy it to a convenient place in your user directory and proceed to customize it into the two invoice reports you need. There's a pretty extensive page on custom reports at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports. Once you've modified and installed the custom reports according to the instructions on that page they'll appear on the Reports menu.

It's not currently possible to use the Print Invoice button to run a custom invoice report, but Bob Fewell is working on adding that to GnuCash 5 that we'll release next spring, see https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/1333.

Regards,
John Ralls