[GNC] Stock Name Change Best Practices

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:01:41 EDT 2022

To me, the former name and the date of the change are important.   It is
easy to add a dummy transaction in the register to record those pieces of
information plus whatever other details might be important.  Then editing
the stock names and tickers allow price downloads to resume.

However,  sometimes I want reports to show the old names for periods before
the change.   Then I go to the trouble to create a new security under the
new ticker and make buy and sell transaction s as if it were a stock split
or buyout.  That can also be used if desired to convert unrealized gains
into realized gains or perhaps just move unrealized gains to the new
ticker.  I do not use the GnuCash lots feature as I prefer to track lots
manual ly, so I don't know how that would fit in.