[GNC] tutorials or examples for connecting/programming for GnuCash data access

Eric Hammond eric at jehammond.net
Tue Jul 26 21:31:27 EDT 2022

Thank you, I will check it out

All the best,
Eric

From: john <jralls at ceridwen.us>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2022 11:07 AM
To: Eric Hammond <eric at jehammond.net>
Cc: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] tutorials or examples for connecting/programming for GnuCash data access

On Jul 25, 2022, at 9:30 AM, Eric Hammond <eric at jehammond.net<mailto:eric at jehammond.net>> wrote:

Are there tutorial examples / videos for using Python and/or Sqlite3 to work with GnuCash.
I have never used Sqlite, and my Python experience is mostly industrial, and outdated.
(Like, what are bindings?)

Google found no GnuCash programming tutorials, though it did find some Piecash ones.

There's https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/SQL-Requests_For_Direct_Database_Access for SQL. It's not specifically about SQLite3 but you can read their docs for using the command-line tool.
Bindings are wrapper functions, in our case created by SWIG, that translate between e.g. Python and the C/C++ in which the GnuCash engine is written.
There's some information in https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Python_Bindings and a brief mention in https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/ch_python_bindings.html. There are some examples in https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/maint/bindings/python/example_scripts.

Regards,
John Ralls