[GNC] MariaDB?

Thomas Forrester tlforrester at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 11:36:50 EDT 2022

Just finally reporting back on this change in my environment (new install
on Windows 11 from an older Windows 10 computer running MySQL).  Perhaps it
will help others making similar changes to what I've just done.

I'm moving on to a new computer and just didn't want to install the entire
WAMP stack just to get MySQL.  As someone who has also done a fair amount
of web development, WAMPServer has been the convenient way to get MySQL
and the rest of the development stack in place.  That's not as relevant to
me anymore, so I'm moving on without the stack.  I had also heard MariaDB
might be a better choice, especially since I only need the SQL part of the
stack.

I installed MariaDB and GnuCash on the new computer, then on the old
computer, I saved my financial data from MySQL to an XML file.  I copied
that .gnucash file to the new computer.  I also followed the guidance in
the documentation (2.6. Migrating GnuCash data) to export/import
preferences data from the registry, and copied the username/.gnucash folder
to retain saved reports.  All that complete, I opened the new installation
of GnuCash.  It opened just fine, and I immediately saved it to MySQL which
brought up the MariaDB login requesting the server name, database name,
username, and password.  It saved the data without complaint.  Closing and
reopening GnuCash then gave me the SQL login prompt which worked fine and
all is well with the data.  Only two issues with the migration.  First is
that the saved report configurations did not come across even though the
.gnucash folder was copied over per the docs to the same location on the
other computer.  And second is that I've lost my dark mode theme and will
have to dig around to try to remember how I got that to work in the first
place.  Both are relatively minor issues.

Thanks to the dev team for making the process relatively easy to comprehend
and execute.  This is not the kind of data you want to have go south on
you, and to be able to fluidly move between MySQL and XML made the transfer
quite painless.

Tom
Middleton, WI  USA