[GNC] How to reorganize the account tree

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Jun 12 11:30:13 EDT 2022

Please remember to use 'reply-to-list' or 'reply-all' so the discussion
stays on the list. Others may benefit, and others may be able to help
out too.

As to your question, I'm guessing you want to move some accounts within
the tree. Simply select the desired account (don't open its register)
click the Edit button on the toolbar. (or right-click, then choose
'edit') Finally, simply select the new parent account in the
bottom-right pane of the edit window and click 'OK'.

The account has now moved to be a child of the new parent account.

Note that while you can move accounts to different main parts of the
tree (such as moving an asset to a liability) you should also edit the
account type (bottom-left pane of the account window) and if you have
transactions in it, you'll possibly need to swap the columns containing
amounts for *all* transactions.

In this case, I'd advise using View > Transaction Journal so you can
always see all splits. Then work your way through each transaction
moving the amounts from the left to the right and vice versa. That is
easy to do by simply adding a minus sign in front of an amount. GnuCash
will swap it for you.

Regards,
Adrien