[GNC] Direct Adjustment of Security's Price

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 18:41:27 EDT 2022

Bite

The transaction to record this, if a profit or increase in value of the security
is to debit the security by the amount of the profit and to credit an income
account by the same amount. For a loss in value creidt the security account and
debit the income amount. The profit or loss is the product of the number of
securites held  and the difference in prices between the date at which you are
recording the unrealized gain/loss and the price at the time you have previously
recorded a gain or loss Ultimately this traces back to the initail purchase
price.

You may find it useful to use a sub-account of the security (of the same type
account) totalling into the security account to record the unrealized gains and
losses so that you preserve the initial cost basis which you will likely need
for capital gains taxes in most jurisdiction. Unrealized gains and losses are
generally not taxable as income in most jurisdictions, so you would need an
Income account separate from any Income account structure which records income
for taxation purposes.

David Cousens