[GNC] Help

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 19:20:18 EDT 2022

Eric,

The image you attached did not appear to contain anything. Presumably you raised
an invoice when you billed the client which would have created an entry debiting
Accounts Receivable and crediting the appropriate income account.

To record the bad debt you would create a transaction which credited Accounts
Receivable and debited Expense:Bad Debts. This will cancel out the amount
credited to Income in the original invoice. I had no difficulty creating such an
entry in V4.10 with a test account setup for the business features. There was no
limitation on the account selection when I created the transaction in the
Accounts Receivable register.

The Help manual
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-help/busnss-ar-payment1.html has a
description of how to do this using the process payment process which does have
a restriction on processing the payment to an expense account. The key is to
select an asset account (e.g. cheque account) when creating the transaction in
Process payment and then after the transaction is created change the account
from the asset account to the Expense:Bad Debt account. It is only the process
payment procedure which has a restriction on the type of account you can select
for a payment and there is no way that GnuCash could internally differentiate
between a payment to an Bad Debts expense account and any other expense account
 as there isn't a specific account type for bad debts.

David Cousens