[GNC] Credit note posting to an expense account

davidvernonlong at gmail.com davidvernonlong at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 12:18:06 EDT 2022

I wish to create a credit note in A/R and post it to an expense account.
The only options I see are to post to an income, liability, or asset
account, and I can well understand why, as in most business processes a
credit note represents a negative income.  The only work around I can find
is to post to an intermediary account, for example a suspense account in
liabilities, and then post out of that account in a second transaction to
the expense account.  Is there any other way?

For background, it's for a member's club where all members are invoiced for
membership and services in A/R, and sometimes members incur expenses on
behalf of the club, which I wish to credit to their account and debit to the
appropriate expense account. A credit note provides a nice document to
provide them with.

Thanks

David Long