[GNC] Automatic sales tax

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Mar 3 20:08:50 EST 2022

The question is more likely one of 'when does the sale take place?' And
for many jurisdictions, it takes place when 'good delivery has been
made.' (when the revenue is earned, payment is irrelevant here)

1. So if you walk into a store, and walk out with goods, (paid or on
credit) the point of 'written' sale is the same as 'delivered' sale. So
the jurisdiction is the store, or seller's location.

2. If you walk into the same store, but order a certain type of good
(based on local laws) for delivery to a different jurisdiction (say your
home or business) then delivery jurisdiction is used as that is the
'point of sale' where the seller has technically 'earned' the revenue.
(until then, your payment constitutes a deposit - their liability.)

3. If you order online (or by 'mail' in the old days) for 'local pickup'
then you most likely will be paying tax based on the seller's (or pickup
location) jurisdiction, same as if you had walked in and out with the
goods personally. (#1)

4. If you order online (or mail) for delivery, that's the same as #2 above.

Of course, laws vary widely, so those are general scenarios. They may
not apply to you.

The recent change in the U.S. is that until a particular Court decision,
online sales (as well as by mail) had no legal nexus as States couldn't
tax 'out of state' sales. (at least not in the general case, there might
have been some exceptions) One can argue the correctness of the
decision, but it currently stands, so we have to deal with the aftermath.

I don't know the history of this in other countries.

Regards,
Adrien