[GNC] Keeping tenant accounts on Gnucash - periodic 'rent owing' ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Mar 5 05:11:23 EST 2022

And on that note,

I highly stress to anyone getting started (or even old hands) to not try
to artificially combine receipts for convenience. You could if you
wanted to, but I guarantee, you'll want to 'refactor' some of those line
items one day, or wish you could.

Just enter receipts as multi-split transactions, line by line, with
detailed info in the Memo fields. That way, if you ever want to move
something to a different account in the future, it is possible.

The added bonus is you don't have to do math. GnuCash adds up the
receipt for you.

If you combine fish with tires today, because you bought them on the
same visit to Costco, you won't be able to split them up into Groceries
& Auto 6 months from now.

If you insist on not doing separate line items, recording at least a
small description for each and their respective amounts in the memo will
help, but this gets cumbersome any but the simplest of purchases.

While this may sound nuts to some, you'd be surprised how 'auto-fill' on
a new transaction to any particular store, magically needs little
editing from visit to visit. It isn't like you're doing lots of data
entry after a month or so of receipts.

And when you realize tracking Auto vs. Groceries is more important than
where you bought them, you'll thank me later...

Regards,
Adrien