[GNC] Gnucash 3.8 Questions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Mar 7 11:06:00 EST 2022

The other questions were well answered, but I thought it important to
mention about upgrading that you don't need to upgrade through each
*minor* version, just the major versions.

3.x is a major version.
4.x is a major version.
5.x (due 2023) will be a major version.

It is a good idea to upgrade to the last minor version of each major
version before jumping to the next major one. So in your case being on
3.8, you'll upgrade straight to 3.11 which is the last of the 3.x
series. (you can skip 3.9 & 3.10)

Then make a backup copy of your file after opening it in 3.11.

Then upgrade to the latest 4.x version, presently, 4.9. (4.10 is due
next week though) Thus skipping 4.0–4.8/9.

As soon as you open your file in 4.9/10, from the Accounts tab, perform
Actions > Check & Repair > Check & Repair All. (do this after every
*major* version jump)

You should be good to go after that.

---------
The reason for upgrading to 3.11 rather than 4.9/10 straight out is that
4.x is supposed to be able to read a 3.11 file just fine, but there
might be incompatibilities trying to read a 3.8 file. (or so says the
Wiki about Upgrading)

Regards,
Adrien