[GNC] Subject: Re: Keeping tenant accounts on Gnucash - periodic 'rent owing' ?

arthur brogard abrogard at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 14:35:44 EST 2022

Thanks for these inputs.  Hope I haven't done anything wrong.  I'm still blundering around trying to understand how to work the mailing list thing.
It all looks too complicated to me.  Not worth the hassle.

I'll tell you what I"ve got right now:
  I have a spreadsheet that I enter money received,  date received,  payer into. It shows me then immediately which weeks rents have been pad and what the balance is at that rent day.
If they've paid money for 'other', i.e. not rent money, I enter that amount into 'other' and only the rent amount into rent.
The 'other' bit is not automated at all.  I have to eyeball it and calculate balance each time.

So I enter their payment in there and see what balances I've got.
Then I go to Word and pick up the last receipt I sent them and I modify it to suit this week's numbers.  And save it with the date of it.  Hence I've got a record of every receipt sent and I've got the spreadsheet.
The receipts, I know, are not required by law because they pay by direct deposit.  But I prefer to do it that way.

Now the pain is modifying that receipt.
If I could have an account where I simply enter the receipt and it shows me the balance and I print that out as a receipt that'd be great.
That account would have to have automatically incremented the 'amount due' as the real life dates passed.

Well, two balances:  the rent and the 'other'.
That's all I'm after.
When I asked I really thought I'd get a reply saying that all such cases of meeting period payments, recording them, printing out statements of account and receipts are done by 'such and such' software or 'this and that' feature of gnucash.
I realise (now) I'm making things abnormal in that my 'receipt' is really a receipt AND a statement, isn't it?

A plain receipt would be easy as pie.

No.  I need more than that.  Everything has to be crystal clear to this tenant. What he's paid for rent, what for other, what the balances are when the next payment is due,  which weeks have been paid for.
What I will do is start using gnucash with my present state of knowledge and just find out what happens.  See how I go.
I'll use cash accounting I guess.  See no need for accrual as best I hazily remember my accounting. (It was over 20 years ago).

Do we have to tell gnucash which we're using or its all in how we enter things?
Thanks for all the interest and help.