[GNC] Changes in gnucash 4 vs 3

Peter Ratzlaff pratzlaff at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:22:43 EST 2022

On 3/10/22 11:04, Peter Ratzlaff wrote:

> On 3/10/22 10:54, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> On 3/10/22 9:12 AM, Peter Ratzlaff wrote:
>>> Income accounts now have negative balances. Same for equity.
>>> Liability balance signs are flipped as well.
>>
>> That's a preference. Did other preferences not carry over?
>>
>> Investigate the Wiki for GnuCash storage locations and check to see if
>> your preference file is intact. (and if not, you can restore it from a
>> backup)
>>
>> Try Actions > Check & Repair > Check & Repair All. That should be done
>> after each major version jump. (One would think it should
>> automatically run on such an upgrade, and maybe it does, but sometimes
>> it might not work I suppose)
>>

>>> I have a saved report which generates a plot of assets over time, and
>>> that report no longer displays the plot. The table of values vs time
>>> is still printed and the numbers look correct. This seems like it
>>> could be some sort of unmet graphics package dependency, but there is
>>> no error message generated on the terminal or in the GUI.
>>
>> The Wiki also has a list of dependencies you can check.
>>
>> How did you install GnuCash?
>>

> Yes, I'm beginning to see that this is all about preferences not being
> carried over. Even when I modify preferences in 4.9, they are not being
> saved.
>
> I installed with the Ubuntu 22.04 repository packages.

So, I've messed up this entire query right from the subject line. Turns
out I was previously running gnucash version 4.4, and now I've updated
to 4.8.

Anyway, I've completely removed ~/.{config,cache,local/share}/gnucash
and started over. Still my preference changes are not being saved. That
seems to be the biggest issue. As for the assets over time report plot,
it isn't displayed in gnucash, but export to HTML does result in the
expected graphic.