[GNC] IRA/401K income detection

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 10 14:15:28 EST 2022

On 2022-03-10 11:08, David G. Pickett via gnucash-user wrote:
> When I move money from an IRA or 401K account to my bank account and the tax man, that is all a taxable distribution, but GNUCash mostly sees a transfer.  How do I capture the income?

If you make out a check to "cash" and cash it at the bank, is that
income? No, of course not. Your net worth is the same before and after
cashing that check.

The same is true of making a withdrawal from your IRA. Despite the fact
that the tax laws treat it as income, it is not income.

Please don't send the same query twice in quick succession. Wait a
reasonable time before assuming the list didn't receive your email.

--
Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA