[GNC] GNC] Question about Assemblies

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Mar 22 12:49:35 EDT 2022

David,

Derek described a way to handle a (simple) retail business with GnuCash. Manufacturing is another matter entirely and involves an accounting specialty named Cost Accounting. Enterprise resource planning, or ERP, is one flavor of cost accounting widely used in many industries. There are others, for example the integrated circuits industry uses a system called standard cost accounting. ERP doesn't work because aside from the wafers only tiny amounts of some of the process inputs actually end up in the product so it's not possible to create a meaningful BOM. In standard cost accounting each step in the process is assigned a standard cost and WIP accumulates the standard costs for each step in the process.

There are a few open-source ERP packages available. GnuCash is definitely not one of them and doesn't aspire to be.

Regards,
John Ralls