[GNC] Help

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Mon May 2 20:41:55 EDT 2022

On 2022-04-30 21:22, Sandra Chick via gnucash-user wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am totally new to Gnucash.  It looks like a great program, however I am unable to figure out how to configure it to be used with Australian GST accounting methods.  If someone could help me in this regard it would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to GnuCash, Sandra!

One of the things about GnuCash is that it forces you to work in the
structure of double-entry bookkeeping. Other accounting programs seek to
provide a simplified, but maybe less powerful, structure. Not GnuCash.
Thus, good foundations for finding your way in GnuCash are:

1. The GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide
<https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=4&lang=C&doc=guide>. Read it
all the way through.

2. An introductory textbook on accounting and double-entry bookkeeping.
In particular, the idea that each transaction is balanced, and the
essence of the accounting equation.

3. An accountant who knows the rules for your jursidiction, and can give
you advice on strategies and structures.

When you have those, then a good next step is the GnuCash wiki. Many
little bits of advice and methods are captured here. In particular, have
a look at the page, "Quickstart Australian BAS"
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Quickstart_Australian_BAS>.

When further questions arise — and they will — come on back here and see
if we can help you more.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt