[GNC] Change account in Transfer column - how?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue May 3 10:35:31 EDT 2022

On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 10:25:49AM -0400, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 5/3/2022 9:47 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> > Is it possible to change the account in the Transfer column of a
> > transaction?  If so how should one do it?
> >
> > If I click on the entry it's highlighted and an up arrow ^ appears in
> > the Transfer column but no list of alternative accounts.  Should I get
> > the list there?  I'm sure I sometimes have got the list but there
> > seems no rhyme nor reason why it sometimes appears and sometimes
> > doesn't.
> >
> > I'm running GnuCash 4.4 on xubuntu Linux.
> >
> I will be using the formal terms "debit" and "credit" as the supposedly more
> user friendly terms vary with the sort of account and this matter does not
> depend on that.
>
> You cannot change the account associated with a debit or a credit of a
> transaction while IN that account. Since there will always be at least two
> accounts associated with a transaction it will always be possible to go to
> that transaction in another account and you would then have a list to change
> THIS account there.  Do it that way until ....
>
> If you have become familiar with entering "splits" you will have learned to
> enter transactions in the "journal view". That's how we all entered
> transactions in the old days of pen and ink on paper bookkeeping. We then
> had to manually post these entries to the ledger accounts. Gnucash does the
> "posting" automatically when you enter transactions this way. If you are
> viewing the transaction in "journal view" you CAN change any of the accounts
> using the drop down list, even the one you were in when you entered journal
> view (split)

The whole problem is that I don't get the drop down list!  I get the
up-arrow or down-arrow that indicates it's going to appear, but it
doesn't appear.  As I said it does *sometimes* appear but I can't
understand why it does appear sometimes but mostly it doesn't appear.

I suspect this is actually a bug, I think I reported it quite a long
time ago as an inability to select the Transfer account at all when
entering a transaction.  This is basically the same problem except
that I'm wanting to change the Transfer account.

--
Chris Green