[GNC] Is there a way to handle same-named GnuCash files sensibly?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed May 4 15:26:51 EDT 2022

Op dinsdag 3 mei 2022 18:37:20 CEST schreef Chris Green:
> GnuCash names files in ~/.local/share/gnucash/books according to the
> filename of the GnuCash data file.  This is a bit of a problem for me
> because I expect to be able to have multiple GnuCash data files with
> the same name in different places.

In theory gnucash should be able to handle this. If the file name already exists in the books
directory, gnucash will create the new file in there with a number appended to the name. To
find the proper file in book matching the building.gnucash file you just opened, it uses a
unique book guid that's stored inside each of the files in the books directory. I don't know
however how these unique id's are generated or how their uniqueness is guaranteed. So
depending on how you make new gnucash files for each year, this may or may not work.

Regards,

Geert